The Tomato Ladies are a group of volunteers who focus on empowering people in their community to create nutritious and tasty meals with basic ingredients. Our target audience includes clients of local food banks, residents of emergency shelters, and others interested in low cost meal preparation. We do this by:
- Developing simple, easy-to-follow recipes. Click here to view our recipes.
- Hosting “Recipe Tasting” evenings in the KSM Kitchen to encourage people to try the recipes at home. The Tomato Ladies demonstrate how easy the recipes are to prepare and then everyone enjoys a sampling of the prepared dishes in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Click here to view upcoming Recipe Tasting Events.
- Providing participants at the “Recipe Tasting” events with take-home ingredient kits.
- Preparing and serving special home-style meals to the men and women in residence at the local emergency shelter.
- Providing life skill cooking workshops for residents at the shelter.
How did the Tomato Ladies begin?
The Tomato Ladies began when a food bank volunteer noticed that clients were not choosing some of the healthier items available to them – like a tin of tomatoes – and were instead opting for more processed foods. It became clear that many clients simply did not know what to do with a tin of tomatoes! With that, the “Tomato Ladies” were born.
We believe that by teaching basic cooking skills in a caring and compassionate way, people can learn to make better choices for their families while feeling the support of their community through the Tomato Ladies programming. The personalities and approach of the Tomato Ladies is a key aspect of their success. Since our inception in 2009, we have grown and expanded our programs. Now in our eighth year of working within the community we will host approximately 50 events in 2016.