About This Project
- 1 tbsp. olive or canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 3 tsp. oregano flakes
- 2 cups vegetable broth, divided
- ½ cup couscous
- 3 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 small zucchini grated
- 1/4 tsp. each salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar
- 4 peppers, your choice of colour
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook onions, garlic, jalapenos, chili powder and oregano for 3 minutes or until softened.
- Pour in 1 cup of the broth and bring to a boil. Stir in couscous and parsley; remove from heat. Stir in carrot, zucchini, salt and pepper; cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir beans and cheese into couscous mixture.
- Cut peppers in half and remove seeds and ribs. Fill each half with the couscous mixture and place in a large ovenproof casserole dish. Pour remaining broth in dish, cover with foil and place in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for a further 10 minutes or until peppers are tender. A few minutes under the broiler at the very end will give a nice look and a little more variety in the texture.