- 1 tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 cooking onion, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tsp. Greek-style seasoning (see ingredients below)
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 4 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 tin of diced tomatoes (28 ounce)
- 1 ½ cups tomato juice
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 tin pinto beans (19 ounce), drained & rinsed
- 1 tin kidney beans (19 ounce), drained & rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn or 1 tin of corn, drained
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add chopped onions and sauté until just starting to turn transparent (2 minutes). Add ground beef and stir until the beef is browned (no longer pink). Drain off any excess fat in the pot.
- Add the garlic and seasonings, stir to combine.
- Add the cabbage, carrot, diced tomatoes, tomato juice & water, bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes. Add tins of beans and corn and continue to simmer for a further 20 minutes or so.
Spoon the stew over rice, topped with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of cheddar cheese.