- 1 tbsp. olive or canola oil
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 cooking onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- ½ cup rice
- 1 can tomato soup
- 1 soup can of boiling water or beef broth
- 4 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add chopped onions and sauté until just starting to turn transparent (2 minutes). Add ground beef and stir until the beef is browned (no longer pink). Drain off any excess fat in the pot.
- Add the garlic, seasonings, and rice and stir to combine.
- Add the tomato soup & boiling water/broth, stir and heat through. Mix in cabbage and place mixture in a greased casserole dish.
- Place sliced tomatoes on top, cover and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and take off the cover. Return to the oven for a further 15 minutes.
Sprinkle with grated cheese and serve with a green vegetable such as broccoli or green beans.