- 1lb (2 medium) potatoes, chopped into chunks
- 1lb frozen fish such as cod, haddock, tilapia (thawed in the refrigerator)
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- vegetable oil, for frying
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- For the mashed potatoes, bring a pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Add the potatoes to the pot and cook until tender; this should take about 15 minutes. When cooked drain well and mash with a potato masher until a smooth consistency is achieved. Set aside.
- Wrap the fish in parchment paper and put in a roasting pan. Bake in the oven for about 10-12 minutes until opaque and starting to flake. When cool enough to handle, remove the skin and any bones and flake the fish into large chunks.
- Mix the fish, mashed potato, parsley, onion and egg together until well combined. (Mix together carefully so as not to break up the fish too much.) Season with salt and pepper.
- Shape the mixture into 8-12 patties, depending on how large you want them to be and set aside to chill in the fridge for one hour.
- Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry the fish cakes until golden brown on each side and heated right through.
Serve with the Spicy Tomato Sauce and a simple salad.