About This Project
- 1 ½ lb. of stewing beef cut into 1 ½ in. cubes
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 2 large onions, roughly chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 rounded tbsp. flour
- 1 rounded tbsp. paprika (Hungarian if available)
- 1 28 oz. tin of tomatoes
- 1 medium pepper
- ½ cup sour cream (optional)
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Dry the beef cubes in paper towels. Heat the oil in a large pot or flameproof casserole dish until very hot (almost smoking). Sauté beef, a few pieces at a time, and transfer to a plate as they are nicely browned.
- In the same pot, once the meat has been browned and set aside, add the chopped onions and sauté until they are transparent and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Then add the minced garlic, sprinkle in the flour and paprika, and add the beef cubes. Stir until all the juices are soaked up.
- Add the tinned tomatoes to the pot, season with salt and pepper and bring everything slowly to a simmer. Cover pot tightly and set, in the middle position of the preheated oven for 2 hours.
- Prepare the pepper by halving it, removing the seeds and cutting the into 1/4 inch strips, and add to the pot after the 2 hours. Give a good stir and return the covered pot to the oven for a further 30 minutes. The meat is done when a fork pierces it easily.
- Just before serving, add the sour cream if using to a marbled creamy effect and sprinkle with a little more paprika. Serve over rice or hot buttered noodles with colourful vegetables on the side.