- Penne pasta (500 g)
- 2 tablespoons oil (olive if available)
- 2 hot Italian sausages, removed from the casing
- 2 small peppers, different colours if available, cut into 1 inch squares
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 1inch pieces
- ½ red onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, thickly sliced
- ½ tsp. Italian Seasoning
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- 3 tbsp. freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (optional)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Heat the oil over high heat in a large sauté pan, until sizzling (about 2 minutes). Add the sausage meat to the pan, stirring to prevent sticking. Cook until browned, about 3 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove the meat from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, reduce the heat to medium and cook the peppers, zucchini, red onion, garlic, and seasonings for 3 minutes, stirring well. Add the cooked sausage with any juices that have accumulated and a little of the stock, stirring to dislodge any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the remaining chicken stock, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, add the pasta to the boiling water and cook until just tender. (8 minutes approx.) Drain the cooked pasta and return it to the pot.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta and cook on medium heat for 3 more minutes, stirring continuously until most of the sauce has been absorbed. Remove from the heat, spoon onto warmed serving plates and sprinkle with the cheese if you are using.
Cook’s Tip: After you’ve added pasta to boiling water, always stir gently with a wooden spoon to prevent the pasta from sticking to the bottom of the pan and from clumping together. Stir again when the water comes back to the boil.
Serves 4 to 6