- A few big mushrooms, sliced
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp. Tomato Lady Steak Spice Mix (or Montreal Steak Spice)
- 1 tin diced tomatoes (28 ounce)
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper, cut in chunks
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tin red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp. white vinegar
Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Spread the sliced mushrooms, in a casserole dish and place the chicken breasts on top. Sprinkle with the Tomato Lady Steak Spice Mix and top all with ½ tin of the diced tomatoes.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Set aside and allow the chicken to cool to make for easier handling. Chop the chicken into chunks and stir back into the tomato / mushroom mixture.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat and sauté the onion for about 2 minutes until it starts to become translucent. Stir in the garlic, chunked pepper, and continue to sauté for a further minute. Add the chili powder and stir for about 30 seconds. Should smell lovely!
- Stir in the remaining ½ tin of tomatoes, along with the kidney beans, the chicken mixture from the casserole dish and white vinegar.
- Give it a good stir, taste and adjust seasoning as required. Heat through and serve over rice or with crusty bread on the side.
Serves 4 – 6
Tomato Lady Steak Spice Mix*
This is a mixture of spices, similar to what would be found in a Montreal Steak Spice blend.
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tbsp. crushed black pepper
- 1 tbsp. sea salt
- 1 ½ tsp. granulated garlic
- 1 ½ tsp. granulated onion
- 1 ½ tsp. crushed coriander
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
Mix well and store in a jar /sealed bag until ready to use.
*Buying herbs & spices in bulk can be very cost effective