- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 cup uncooked white rice, long grain or jasmine rice
- 4 cups chicken broth (or stock)
- 2x 14 ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 limes, juice and zest (adjust to your tastes)
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped coriander (or parsley), to garnish
- Heat oil in a stockpot or saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté until onion is transparent. Add the garlic and sauté for a further minute. Add the cumin and rice; mix the flavours through and sauté for a further minute.
- Pour in the broth and beans, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until rice is tender (stirring half way through).
- Remove from heat and drizzle with a small amount of olive oil (about 2 teaspoons), lime zest, juice and cilantro. Taste test; season with a little salt and pepper, only if needed and as desired.
Serves 8 as a side
Add in chopped jalapeños, chili’s, or cayenne pepper for some added heat!