- ½ cup regular rice
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 ½ cups milk (whole or 2%)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- ½ cup raisins (optional)
- 1 tsp. lemon/orange rind (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Butter an 8×8 or 9×7 baking dish, or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle in rice, sugar, salt, vanilla and nutmeg.
- Warn milk gently in the microwave for 1 minute and add to the dish.
- Add raisins and lemon/orange rind, if using, and stir the mixture.
- Bake for 2 to 2 ½ hours stirring occasionally until rice is tender and mixture has thickened.
Serves 4 – 5.