- ¼ lb. mushrooms, sliced (5 or 6 medium sized)
- 1 tbsp. margarine
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into 4 pieces
- chicken broth, enough to cover the chicken pieces ( approx. 1 cup)
- 2 cups broccoli pieces
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- ½ cup mayonnaise or whipped salad dressing
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. Worcester sauce
- ½ tsp. dry mustard
- A few drops of Hot Sauce (Tabasco)
- Croutons (see Tomato Ladies recipe “Seasoned Croutons and Breadcrumbs”)
- ½ cup each of grated white cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese
Prepare the layers:
- Heat margarine in a frying pan over medium/low heat. Add mushrooms and sauté for a few minutes until softened. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
- Place chicken pieces in the same pan, pour the broth over and simmer the chicken until cooked through. Set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil; add the broccoli pieces and par cook – about 2 minutes once the water has returned to a boil. Drain immediately and run under cold water to halt any further cooking.
Prepare the sauce:
- Combine ½ cup of the broth from the cooked chicken with the soup, mayo, lemon and spices together in a bowl.
- Stir to blend.
Build the casserole:
Prepare a 9” x 9” casserole dish by spreading the bottom and sides with a little margarine. Then layer the ingredients evenly as follows:
- sprinkle of paprika
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until the top is nicely browned and bubbling around the sides.
Serve with potatoes or rice and another vegetable; carrots are great for adding extra colour to the plate.
Tip: This is an excellent recipe for a buffet as it is very easy to double and by cutting the chicken into smaller pieces it stretches the number of servings for a crowd.