- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. Minced Beef
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Carrots, peeled & diced
- 1 ½ tbsp. Tomato Purée
- 3 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef stock (from a stock cube or sachet or tetra pack)
- 4 large potatoes, diced
- ¼ cup milk (more or less as required)
- Butter / margarine
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook the onion and carrot for 3–4 minutes until slightly softened. Add the minced beef. Break the meat up with a fork, and fry for a few minutes until lightly browned.
- Stir in the Tomato Puree and Worcestershire sauce. Add the stock, give it a good stir, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes in a pan of boiling salted water until tender (15 to 20 minutes). Drain and mash with the milk and a little margarine / butter. Season to taste.
- Transfer the mince beef mixture to an ovenproof serving dish and top with the mashed potato. Bake for 20-25 minutes until bubbling at the sides and golden on top.
- Great served with green beans, peas or broccoli.
Note: If available, try adding a handful of grated Cheddar to the top of the mashed potatoes and use a fork to ‘fluff up’ the mash for a really crispy topping.