- 1 whole chicken cut into serving pieces, or 8 bone in chicken pieces such as thighs and drumsticks
- ¼ cup oil (for frying)
- Salt & pepper
- 1 medium onion, sliced into thin rings
… For the BBQ Sauce:
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. English Dry Mustard
- 1 tbsp. chili powder*
- ¼ tsp. cayenne*
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder*
- Salt & pepper to taste
*You can add a little more or less of these depending on your own taste buds
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan. Allow mixture to simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium/high heat. Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt and pepper and brown on all sides in the oil. (approx. 2 to 3 minutes per side)
- Place the browned chicken pieces in a single layer in a baking dish and set aside.
- Add onions to the skillet and sauté lightly. Place the onions on top of the chicken pieces.
- Stir and pour the sauce over the chicken and onions in the baking dish. Cover with aluminium foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees. Remove foil and bake for a further 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with rice and salad on the side.