- 3 tbsp. canola oil, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 2/3 cup basmati rice, well rinsed
- 1 lb. chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1/3 cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- 3 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- fresh cilantro, raisins and cashews/peanuts for garnish
- In a saucepan, heat 1 tbsp. oil over medium high heat and sauté/toast the rice until slightly golden, 4/5 minutes.
- In a separate saucepan with a lid, heat remaining canola oil over medium-high heat and sauté onion, garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cardamom, cloves and cinnamon for 2 minutes to bring out flavours.
- Stirring constantly, add rice, chicken, yogurt, tomato and broth; cover and simmer over medium heat 15 minutes or until rice is tender, chicken is cooked through and liquid is absorbed. Remove from stove and let stand 5 minutes.
- Garnish and serve.
Serves 6 plus.