- 1 cup rice*
- 2 cups water or chicken broth (low sodium if available)
- 4 tbsp. oil, divided
- Salt & pepper
- 1 red / yellow or orange pepper, sliced
- 1 cup of mushrooms, sliced
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (or 6 boneless skinless thighs), sliced into ½ inch thick slices
- 1 can cream of chicken or mushroom soup (low sodium if available)
- ½ cup mayonnaise (Miracle Whip)
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice (or orange juice)
- 1 cup grated cheese
- ½ cup breadcrumbs or panko
*Note: you can substitute rice for couscous, if you do, just follow the package instructions.
- Cook the rice in the water /chicken broth. Place cooked rice (or couscous if using) in a medium casserole dish (Approx. 8” x 8”)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat 2 tbsp. of the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Sauté the pepper slices and mushrooms for 2 – 3 minutes until it starts to soften. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper over the vegetables while cooking. Add vegetables as the second layer on top of rice / couscous.
- Sprinkle a little salt and pepper on the sliced chicken strips. Heat remaining 2 tbsp. of oil in the same frying pan over medium heat, add the chicken and sauté until opaque (4 to 6 minutes) – don’t let it brown. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables.
- In a separate bowl, combine soup, mayo, curry powder and lemon / orange juice. Pour sauce over the chicken.
- Combine the grated cheese and breadcrumbs together and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes until casserole bubbles around the edges, let sit for 5 minutes and serve.