- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small onions, diced
- 3 small sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped (optional)
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 15 ounce cans black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water or vegetable / chicken broth (make sure your broth is gluten-free if needed)
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne (or to taste)
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Sauté the onions and garlic in olive oil for a minute or two, then add in the sweet potatoes, carrots and bell pepper and continue to sauté until the onions are soft, about 5-6 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium low, and add in all of the remaining ingredients, stirring to combine well.
- Allow your chili to simmer, partially covered and stirring occasionally over medium-low heat, for about 20-25 minutes, until flavors have mingled and the sweet potatoes, carrots and bell peppers are soft. If required, add extra broth / water to obtain desired consistency.
Serves 6 – 8