A light citrusy flavour – perfect for a summer dinner!
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange
- 1 apple
- 1 can pineapple chunks, drained, reserving ¼ cup of the juice
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise (or whipped dressing)
- ½ tsp. fresh basil (or ¼ tsp. dried basil)
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted (optional)
- Wash lemon and orange. Remove zest from both, being careful not to include the white pith. Chop zest very finely.
- Cut lemon and orange in half and squeeze out juice, add to the reserved ¼ cup pineapple juice.
- Cut and dice the apple.
- In a glass or stainless steel bowl, combine apple, drained pineapple, chicken, celery, and prepared fruit zest. Reserving ¼ cup. of the lemon / orange/pineapple juice, combine the remainder with the fruit / chicken mixture and stir. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Remove from refrigerator when ready to serve and drain the liquid from the bowl.
- Mix mayonnaise, basil and reserved juice.
- Fold into fruit /chicken mixture.
- Add back enough of the drained liquid to make a smooth consistency, without watering down the salad too much.
- Sprinkle individual servings with toasted almonds if using.
Serves 4 people.