For the sausage mixture:
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. Italian sausage, hot/mild/sweet, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 28 oz. tin diced tomatoes
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary or ½ tsp. dried
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup mozzarella or fontina cheese
For the base:
- 2 lb. prepared polenta, cut into ½ inch slices OR
- 2 lb. potatoes (sweet or white), boiled but firm and cut into chunks OR
- 6 cups cooked pasta (penne works well)
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add sausage pieces and cook, 3 to 4 minutes until pink disappears.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until softened.
- Add tomatoes and red pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook until the sauce is slightly thickened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in the corn, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Oil a 9×13 baking dish. Add your base of choice – polenta, potatoes, or pasta. Spoon sausage mixture over the base and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes. Then broil for 3-4 minutes to brown.
Add red pepper flakes (1/2 tsp.) or a few dashes of hot sauce to the sausage mixture if your family like things spicer!