- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. dried rosemary or thyme, crushed
- 1 cup dried red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups water/chicken broth
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice or wine vinegar
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. thinly sliced fresh basil and green onions
- In a pot, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté carrots, onion, garlic and rosemary for about 5 minutes or until onion is softened. Stir in lentils and water; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and boil gently, covered, for 15 minutes or until lentils and carrots are soft.
- Whisk flour into milk and gradually stir into pot; increase heat to medium. Simmer, stirring, for about 3 minutes, until slightly thickened (do not let boil). Stir in lemon juice and season to taste with pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve sprinkled with basil and green onions.