Total time: 1 hr. Prep 15 min. cook time 45 min.
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 3 peppers (a mix of red, orange and yellow) deseeded and cut into chunky strips
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 lb. whole chicken, jointed into 8 pieces
- Small tin of cherry tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- ½ tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- ¾ cup chicken stock / broth
- pinch chilli flakes
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, plus 1tbsp chopped rosemary, to serve
- A handful of pitted olives (Kalamata, black or green)
- 1 tsp. dried parsley to sprinkle over before serving
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and peppers and sauté for 3 minutes or until slightly softened. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute more. Place the onion and pepper mix into a large ovenproof dish, set aside.
- Drizzle the chicken pieces with the remaining olive oil, season well with the dried herbs and salt & pepper. Place the pieces into the same frying pan. Cook until golden-brown all over, approx. 6 min. Remove the chicken and place on top of the peppers and onions in the ovenproof dish.
- In a separate pan, empty the tinned cherry tomatoes, stock and chilli flakes, season well and warm through over a low heat. Pour the sauce around the chicken pieces and vegetables, then add the rosemary sprigs and bake, covered with foil, for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil, scatter with the black olives and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. Cut into a thick section of the chicken to ensure it is cooked through with no pink showing.
Serve over spaghetti.