A Family Favourite passed from generation to generation!
- 2 cups macaroni noodles
- 1 package Old Yellow Cheddar Cheese (approx. 270 g.) – shredded
- 2 rounded Tbsp. margarine (plus a little extra for greasing casserole dish)
- 2 rounded Tbsp. flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- Croutons to cover
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add macaroni noodles. Cook 8 to 9 minutes until soft but still firm, al dente. Rinse with cold water and drain very well.
- Prepare sauce by melting butter in saucepan; using a whisk, mix in flour, and then slowly add milk, mixing with whisk until it thickens. Add about half of the shredded cheese and continue to whisk till smooth.
- Grease an 8×11 in. casserole dish with margarine. Add 1/2 of the macaroni, followed by 1/2 of the cheese sauce. Add the rest of the macaroni followed by the remaining cheese sauce. There should be lots of liquid.
- Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheddar over the top; then cover everything with croutons.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25 – 30 min. or till bubbly.